A healthy day starts with breakfast. It is important to eat something sustaining in the morning. Following are some of our favorite vegan breakfast choices. But first, here are some pointers you can use regardless of whether you eat your morning meal at home or out. Keep in mind that while there are some dishes that are thought of as typical breakfast fare, in fact most foods that are good for you are good for you at any time of day.
- Carbohydrate-dominant foods such as bagels, rolls, toast, and pastries are typical of many breakfasts. Be sure to balance your carbohydrates with protein.
- Choose cereals, breadstuffs, crackers, pancakes, and such made from whole grains. Top cereal with ground flaxseed and wheat germ, ingredients that should also be included when making your own baked goods.
- Eat cereal with soy yogurt or soy milk, rather than rice, oat, hemp or nut-based milks, which are all low in protein.
- Add nuts and seeds to cereals to boost the protein.
- Try to include vegetables at breakfast: a slice of tomato, cucumber, sprouts and/or lettuce added to the filling on a bagel or sandwich; mushroom, peppers, onions, leftover vegetables, and the like in tofu scrambles.
- Include fresh fruit on cereal, pancakes or in nut butter sandwiches.
Finally, just as breakfast needn't be limited to traditional foods, the recipes here don’t have to be reserved for the morning.
Here are Nikki Goldbeck’s vegan breakfast recipes. See also Nikki’s Vegan & Gluten-Free Breakfasts.
- Ultimate Oatmeal
- Vegetable Tofu Scramble
- Mixed Grain Griddlecakes
- Egg-Free French Toast
- Simple Sautéd Tempeh Strips
- Fruit-In-The-Middle Muffins
See more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Breakfast Recipes and Ideas
You can find hundreds of vegan and vegetarian breakfast ideas, from everyday to fancy in The Good Breakfast Book* by Nikki and David Goldbeck (Ceres Press), available at a special price at Healthy Highways. Also in bookstores or from amazon.com.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!