Two superfoods — quinoa and maca root — combine in quinoa maca breakfast bowls that will fuel you for hours. Learn more about the benefits of maca and quinoa, and try another variation on a quinoa breakfast bowl if you like this one. No maca? No worries, this will be yummy and comforting if you choose to omit it. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Quinoa-Maca Breakfast Bowls
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vanilla nondairy milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maca root powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries optional
- Fresh fruit as desired bananas, strawberries, kiwi, mango, blueberries
- Combine the quinoa with the nondairy milk and wanter in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, then stir in the maca, syrup, cinnamon, and optional dried fruit.
- Divide between 3 to 4 serving bowls, and top with sliced fresh fruit as desired. Serve warm.
- Any unused portion can be transferred to a covered container or cooled and kept in the saucepan to use the next day.
Variation: Try this with kañiwa, steel cut oats, or other cooked grain.
- Here are lots more recipes for quinoa.