This vegan strawberry tart is bursting with flavor from fresh seasonal strawberries, wrapped up in a perfectly crisp homemade pie crust. This dessert is every bit as beautiful as it is delicious!
This insanely good strawberry tart comes from the amazing cookbook Meatless in Cowtown, which I definitely recommend checking out!
I was impressed with how easy this was to pull together, and it's quickly become one of my favorite vegan desserts.
This vegan strawberry tart is:
- Packed with juicy, perfectly ripe strawberries!
- Wrapped in a homemade vegan pie crust.
- Delightfully sweet.
- 10o% plant based, egg-free, and dairy-free
- Ready in under an hour.
- Perfect for summer!
Tips & Tricks
Strawberries are consistently on the Dirty Dozen list, so buying organic is a great idea. Plus organic strawberries tend to be fresher and more flavorful than non-organic.
You can use any vegan butter of your choice for the pie crust, but I prefer the Earth Balance kind that come in sticks. In my opinion, it best replicates the texture of real butter, which is important for a pie crust!
If you love this vegan strawberry tart, be sure to check out these other delicious strawberry recipes:
Recipe reprinted with permission from Meatless in Cowtown: A Vegetarian Guide to Food and Wine, Texas Style * © 2015 by Laura Samuel Meyn and Anthony Head, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Photos by Jason Varney.
Rustic Strawberry Tart
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for rolling out
- ⅓ cip white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons organic granulated sugar plus 1 teaspoon , divided
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces unsalted vegan butter stick such as Earth Balance, 1 stick
- ¼ cup ice water plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 pound strawberries fresh, organic, hulled and halved
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar organic
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- To make the crust: Combine the flours, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, and salt, if using, in a large bowl; whisk to blend well. Cut the butter or vegan butter into ½-inch pieces. Add the butter or vegan butter to the flour mixture and work in with your fingertips until a coarse meal forms (do not overwork the dough; some large bits can remain).
- Using a fork, stir in just enough of the ice water to form a dough. Knead the dough briefly until it comes together. Pat the dough into a round disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate it until you’re ready to roll it out.
- To make the filling: Preheat the oven to 425° F. Place the strawberries in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the strawberries with the sugar, cornstarch, and lime juice; toss to coat.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a work surface; sprinkle it with flour. Place the dough disk in the center of the parchment paper and, using a rolling pin, roll it out to a 13-inch round.
- Lift the parchment paper up and transfer it, with the crust, to a baking sheet.
- Spoon the strawberries into the center of the dough, drizzling with a bit of the juices from the bottom of the bowl. Fold about 1½ inches of the edges of the tart dough in toward the center, partly covering the strawberries.
- Sprinkle the top crust around the edges with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar. Bake the tart until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 25 minutes.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes (the center will be very juicy but it will set some as it cools). Serve warm or at room temperature.