This is the most wonderful fruit smoothie, sweet and delectable. The more powerful your blender, the smoother and better this will be. If you really love smoothies, you may find it worth investing in a good-quality, high-speed machine. From The New Complete Vegetarian by Rose Elliot (Sterling Publishing, 2010).
Makes: 1 to 2 large glasses
- 1 sweet orange, peeled and cut into rough chunks
- 1 banana, peeled and roughly sliced
- 1 thick slice of fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 ounces strawberries, hulled (or leave unhulled if organic)
- A small bunch of sweet red grapes
- A cup of ice
Put all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and process until thick and smooth. If adding everything at once is a bit too much for your blender to handle, start with oranges and use chilled water instead of ice, to get things moving. Drink as soon as possible.
Blackberry Bliss in a Glass: The flavor of late summer! Use 8 ounces juicy ripe blackberries instead of strawberries.
Blueberry Bliss in a Glass: Deep purple, delicious and wonderful (so they say) for keeping those brain cells lively and youthful, blueberries make a great smoothie. Use 8 ounces of them instead of the strawberries.