Pinto Bean and Quinoa Sloppy Joes
Here’s a vegan burger-type entree made even simpler by the fact that you need not even make, fry, and flip patties. Pinto beans and quinoa team up to make a great, high-protein sloppy joe filling. Serve with any of VegKitchen’s potato salads or any of the tasty slaws in A Slew of Slaws. Finish with a dessert of fresh fruit. This menu is likely to become a fixture in your repertoire if you have a penchant for simple, hearty meals, and it’s a great choice for hungry teens.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 15- to 16-ounce can pinto or red beans,
drained, rinsed, and coarsely mashed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, plus more for topping, optional
- Shredded lettuce or baby spinach leaves
- 6 whole grain rolls, English muffins, or mini-pitas
Combine the quinoa with 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the bell pepper and sauté until both are golden.
Add the remaining ingredients except the last two, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over medium-low heat, loosely covered, for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the skillet stand off the heat for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle further and for the quinoa to absorb the tomatoey flavors.
For each serving, spoon some of the filling onto the bottoms of whole-grain rolls and cover with the tops. Or, you can serve these open-faced.
Here are more:
- Easy bean main dishes
- Vegan sandwiches and wraps
- Vegan burger recipes
- Quinoa recipes
- of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
20 comments on “Pinto Bean and Quinoa Sloppy Joes”
Pingback: Red Bean Quinoa Sloppy Joes « Mom's Menu Planning
Pingback: Smart Ways to Get Kids to Eat More Veggies | Healthy Bean Recipes :