Here’s a delectable salad featuring strips of high-protein seitan, embellished with avocado and olives. This salad is also delicious served in wraps. It's great accompanied with a simple potato dish or any kind of potato salad. Seitan is pure wheat gluten, so this is obviously not for those who are gluten-free!
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 pound prepared seitan or Homemade Seitan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Torn or shredded lettuce, any variety, as desired
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, or half of each, cut into narrow strips
- 2 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and diced
- ⅓ cup sliced black olives
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Natural bottled or homemade dressing of your choice (see Note)
Drain the seitan and cut into small bite-sized chunks. Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Sauté the seitan strips until golden, stirring frequently, then remove from the heat.
Combine the lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado, and olives in a mixing bowl and toss together. Add the seitan strips and toss again.
NOTE: Try dressing this with a purchased or homemade French Dressing. Another tasty option is Tangy Tahini Dressing.
Per serving (without dressing): Calories: 307; Total fat: 18g; Protein: 27g; Fiber: 33g;
Carbs: 12g; Sodium: 170mg
- Explore more seitan recipes here on VegKitchen.
- Here are more recipes for colorful green salads.
This, by far and away, is one of the most delicious salad dressings I've ever tasted!