This Tangy Coleslaw is perfect for picnics, vegan barbecues, or everyday meals. It gets an extra kick from pickles, fresh dill, and horseradish.
How to Make Tangy Coleslaw
- Combine salad ingredients in a bowl.
- In a different bowl, whisk together dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate slaw. Season to taste.
Full directions for how to make Tangy Coleslaw are in the printable recipe card below.
Tangy Coleslaw FAQs
How long will this coleslaw last?
You can store your coleslaw in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container to keep the ingredients from going bad quickly.
Why is this type of salad called "coleslaw?"
According to Chad's BBQ, coleslaw originally came from the Netherlands where it was called "koosla" meaning "cabbage salad." It was then brought to America, where the mayonnaise was added. Today, there are hundreds of coleslaw variations, but they almost always include the classic cabbage and some form of the mayonnaise.
- 4 cups white cabbage or 2 cups each red and white cabbage; finely shredded
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 scallion minced
- 1 medium yellow or red bell pepper thinly sliced
- ½ cup sour pickle finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill minced; or to taste
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish or to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Pour over the slaw and stir together thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate slaw for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the flavors to blend.
- Taste to adjust any of the flavors, or add a bit more vegan mayo if you like a creamier slaw.
Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.