This colorful Tri-Color Slaw recipe combines massaged kale with both green and red cabbage. It goes with just about every kind of meal, and you can vary it each time with different dressings (see suggestions following the recipe). You can also add a little dried fruit or apple for a sweet twist, as suggested in the variation. Eat the rainbow!
Photos by Rachael Braun.
- 3 –4 kale leaves curly green or lacinato
- 8 –10 baby carrots quartered lengthwise
- 2 cups thinly shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups thinly shredded red cabbage
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup natural bottled or homemade dressing of your choice see Note, or as needed to moisten
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds for topping as desired
- Strip the kale leaves off the stems. If you'd like, you can slice the stems super-thin, otherwise discard. Slice the kale leaves thinly.
- Rub a small amount of olive oil in your palms and massage the kale leaves for 30 to 45 seconds, or until softened and bright green.
- Combine the massaged kale (and the stems, if using) and the the ingredients except the last two in a serving container.
- Stir together, then season with salt and pepper. Scatter the seeds over the top and serve.
Give this salad a slightly sweet twist by adding 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries, or a thinly sliced apple.
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.