Here’s a simple way to prepare the abundance of Japanese eggplants or the mini eggplants of summer. The hoisin marinade cooks into these small eggplants and makes them irresistible!
Serve this Chinese-inspired hoisin glazed eggplant with an Asian-style noodle dish or a simple tofu dish for a delicious warm-weather meal.
Or, serve on its own as an appetizer or first course.
Look for hoisin sauce in the Asian foods section of well-stocked supermarkets, or at natural foods stores or Asian groceries.
For more tasty ideas, check out these main dishes featuring eggplants or these hearty eggplant recipes.
Here’s a simple way to prepare the abundance of Japanese eggplants or the mini eggplants of summer. The hoisin cooks into these small eggplants and makes them irresistible!Print Pin Rate Email
- 4 long Japanese eggplants or 4 mini eggplants
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Mixed greens or baby arugula for serving
- Sesame or hemp seeds for garnish
- 1 scallion green parts only, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Trim the stem off the eggplants and cut in half.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, wine, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
- Pour the hoisin mixture into a large, wide skillet and heat over medium until the mixture starts bubbling.
- Arrange the eggplant halves, cut side down, in the skillet. Cook for 8 minutes over medium heat, then move them around so that they can absorb more of the marinade.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until the eggplant halves are tender but not overdone. Remove from heat
- Line a serving platter with mixed greens or arugula, then arrange the eggplant halves, cut side up, over them.
- Sprinkle with sesame or hemp seeds and scallion. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 417mg | Potassium: 564mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 83IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Leave a Reply