Here are lots of tasty options to explore for portable vegan sandwiches and wraps — easy ideas for vegans and vegetarians that are great for school lunches and for adults who are tired of pricey restaurant lunches and need some fresh brown bag vegan sandwiches and wraps options. You might also like 10 Easy Vegan Wraps to Make in 10 Minutes or Less. Shown above, Hummus, Cucumber, and Avocado Wrap; photo by Lori Maffei.
- Tofu Eggless "Egg Salad"
- Chickpea and Kale Sandwich Spread or Salad
- "Tofuna" Salad Sandwich Spread
- Chunky Bean Spread Sandwiches
- Avocado and Chickpea Sandwich Spread
Here are a few other snazzy sandwich and wrap recipes:
- Cool Refried Bean Wraps
- Vegan "Elvis" Sandwich (Peanut Butter, Banana, and Tempeh Bacon)
- Pinto Bean and Quinoa Sloppy Joes
- Hummus, Avocado, and Baby Spinach Sandwich
- Asian-Flavored Quinoa Wraps
- Baked Tofu, Arugula, and Olive Wraps
- Vegan Avocado Reuben Sandwich
- Hummus, Cucumber, and Avocado Wrap
If you like the idea of having your school lunch info in one neat package, you might enjoy VegKitchen’s affordable, 47-page pdf e-book, Healthy School Lunches: Recipes and Ideas. This little e-book’s recipes and ideas (more than 50 in total) will make the task of making school lunch for kids who are vegetarian or vegan a bit easier and even more fun. The recipes here will also be useful for those following dairy-free diets due to allergy or intolerance.
Or, for some recipe-free options, use the following ideas for sandwiches and wraps to make quick dinners and brown bag lunches Teens might enjoy these as school lunch fare once they've moved past the "kid-food" phase. Served at home, these are great as part of soup-and-sandwich dinners. These easy, recipe-free sandwiches and wraps are good for vegans, vegetarians, or anyone who enjoys healthy sandwich fare.
Vegan sandwiches and wraps
- Thinly sliced avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, and vegan cream cheese or hummus on whole grain bread or in a wrap.
- Thinly sliced avocado, tomatoes, and baked tofu with mustard, soy mayonnaise or chutney (or any combination) in pita bread or a wrap.
- Sautéed seitan, lots of shredded lettuce thinly sliced tomato (or a simple coleslaw in place of the lettuce and tomato), chopped olives, and your favorite dressing in pita bread.
- Sautéed thinly sliced onions, bell peppers, and tempeh strips in pita with your favorite dressing; this is great with homemade Thousand Island-ish Dressing.
- Classic “TLT” sandwich: Sautéed tempeh bacon, lettuce, and thinly sliced tomatoes with vegan mayonnaise on whole grain bread or in a wrap.
- Sautéed thinly sliced onions, thinly sliced raw Granny Smith apples, and melted nondairy cheddar cheese on whole-grain English muffins or pumpernickel bread.
- Hummus, arugula, and sun-dried tomatoes on whole-grain mini-hero rolls.
- Baked sweet potato slices, wilted spinach, and nondairy cheddar cheese (warmed until melted) in wraps.
- Canned vegetarian refried beans (thinned with a little water if need be), thinly shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes, and black olives in a wrap; optional, add grated Cheddar-style nondairy cheese and/or salsa.
- Hummus, thinly sliced lettuce, tomatoes, green bell peppers, and black olives in pita breads or wraps
Make sure to explore the entire Veg Kids and Teens page on VegKitchen for lots of easy, healthy recipes for vegetarian and vegan sandwiches for kids and teens.
- Here are lots more ideas for healthy school lunches for vegetarian and vegan kids and teens.