Roasted Veggie Pizza
Piled high with roasted veggies, this pizza is a good one for hearty appetites. Though a small amount of non-dairy cheese is optional, this pizza truly doesn’t need it for flavor. Feeding a larger crowd? The recipe is easily doubled to make two pizzas. Vary the pizza with other vegetables you may have on hand, including eggplant, sweet potato, kale, yellow summer squash, etc. Photo by Susan Voisin.
Makes: 6 slices
- 1 link Tofurky or Field Roast vegan sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 small zucchini, sliced (or about 1 cup halved and sliced zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons sliced sun dried tomatoes, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup good-quality pizza or marinara sauce,
your favorite all-natural brand or homemade Classic Marinara Sauce, or as needed
- One good-quality 12- to 14-ounce pizza crust, or Basic Pizza Dough (see note)
- 3/4 to 1 cup grated nondairy cheddar- or mozzarella-style cheese, optional
- Dried basil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Combine the sausage, bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini, optional dried tomatoes, and oil in a mixing bowl. Stir together and transfer to a lightly oiled roasting pan. Place in the hot oven.
Meanwhile, place the crust on a pizza stone or on a baking sheet. Distribute the sauce over the surface of the crust. Sprinkle with the optional cheese. Cut the pizza into 6 slices (use a pizza wheel if on a stone; kitchen shears if on a baking sheet). Place the pizza in the oven about 10 minutes after the vegetables.
Give the vegetables a stir after the pizza crust goes in the oven. Bake for an additional 12 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are nicely roasted and the pizza crust begins to turn golden.
Distribute the vegetable mixture evenly over the surface of the pizza, then serve at once.
Note: The Basic Pizza Dough recipe on this site makes enough for two crusts, so you can either halve the recipe, or go ahead and make the entire batch and make two pizzas while you’re at it! Pizza generally freezes well.
Per slice: Calories: 312; Total fat: 11g; Protein: 12g; Carbs: 39g; Fiber: 3.5g; Sodium: 445 mg