Spicy Lentil Dhal Soup
Serves: 2 to 3
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 100 g (3 1/2 ounces) red lentils washed
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 100 g (3 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Fried onion
- Thinly sliced green chilies
Heat oil in a pan, sauté onion, chilies, ginger, garlic for 2 minutes. Stir in lentils and 2 cups of water, soup cube and bring to boil. Reduce heat, boil stirring occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes until lentils are soft.
Add tomatoes, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste cook stirring. Turn off heat and mix lemon juice.
Serve soup in bowls and garnish with chopped coriander, green chilies and fried onion.
Abi Anandakumar presents recipes from various cuisines of Southeast Asia on his blog, Ami’s Vegetarian Delicacies.
- Here are more recipes using healthy lentils and peas.
- Sample more recipes for global stews.
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.
Print This Post