Yellow Rice and Black Bean Burritos
Often, rice is served alongside burritos, but the combination of rice and beans wrapped inside the tortilla is quite satisfying.
Makes: 8 large burritos
- 2 1/4 cups water with 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small fresh hot chile, seeded and minced,
or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Eight 10-inch (burrito-sized) flour tortillas, warmed
- Salsa Ranchera or store-bought salsa
Bring the water and bouillon cube to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the rice, cumin, and turmeric and simmer gently, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 35 minutes.
Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and sauté until it is translucent. Add the garlic and bell pepper and sauté until the onion is golden.
Add the chile, beans, tomato, and oregano. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is well heated through and the tomato has softened, about 8 minutes.
To assemble, place a small amount each of the cooked rice and black bean mixture in the center of each tortilla. Add a stripe of salsa. Fold two opposite sides of the tortilla over the filling, then roll up starting from one of the open ends. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and serve at once.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Burritos, Enchiladas, And Tortilla Dishes.
- Find lots more tortilla recipes in A Southwestern Supper.
Print This Post