The Best Non-Dairy Vegan Milk Alternatives
Are you looking for some healthy vegan milk alternatives that can please your taste buds at the same time? Well, the market is flooded with dozens of non-dairy milk beverages and quite a few of them are worth trying. Sounds interesting? Read on below to learn more:
Why Vegan Milk is a Good Choice for You?
No matter whether you are a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian, picking non-dairy milk alternatives over the regular ones is always beneficial for you. Let us dig a bit deeper and find out why one should go for vegan milk choices:
- Being free of lactose, it is non-allergenic. So, if you are allergic to cow milk, going vegan will help you a lot.
- If you have lactose intolerance, the chances are big that you experience acid reflux, abdominal gas, bloating, etc. frequently. Dairy-free milk substitutes can eliminate these symptoms fast and easily.
- Acne and regular milk always go hand in hand. The risk becomes even greater in case of skimmed milk. But when you replace your dairy consumption with the vegan alternatives, you get rid of it.
- When the milk is produced from a cow non-organically, it gets contaminated by the antibiotics and hormones injected into the animal’s body. The unnatural production process of milk also causes mastitis to cows, which results into the presence of pus in milk. All these lead to hormonal imbalances and various other ailments in human beings. However, when you opt for non-dairy milk, you can always stay away from these worries.
- Most of the vegan milk alternatives can be made easily, quickly and economically at home and you can even add lots of flavor to it.
8 Best Vegan Milk Alternatives You Should Try
- Soy Milk
It is prepared by pounding and processing dried soybeans with water. You can find a variety of flavors including light, sweet, full-cream, vanilla, chocolate, etc. in the market. The density and creaminess of the milk may also vary greatly and it tastes even better than regular milk.
- The protein content is almost similar to cow milk (around 8 grams a cup).
- High in dietary fiber, calcium, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin D, plant-based omega-3 fatty acid, antioxidants, phytoestrogen, manganese, selenium, phosphorus, choline, folate, etc.
- Very low in saturated fats and sugar
- Lactose and cholesterol-free
- Prevents prostate cancer, osteoporosis, cholesterol transportation, etc.
- Strengthens blood vessels
- Eases menopausal symptoms
- Oat Milk
This nutritious milk is made by pre-soaking the grains of oatmeal in water and straining the concotion carefully. It is sweet in taste and thick in consistency. A variety of flavor is available in the market and you are free to pick your favorite one.
- Fulfills almost 35% of our daily requirements of calcium
- Works as a ‘protein powerhouse’
- Fat and sugar content is very low.
- Contains no cholesterol or saturated fats
- Rich in soluble fibers, iron, vitamin A, vitamin D, folate, phytochemicals, etc.
- Prevents a number of cancers
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Promotes digestion and prevents constipation
- Increases ‘good cholesterol’ level and reduces ‘bad cholesterol’ level
- Makes the immune system stronger
- Keeps skin clean and acne-free
- Rice Milk
This thin and naturally sweetened milk substitute is prepared from brown rice grains and is considered as extremely healthy. You can also avail its vanilla-flavored version from your local supermarket.
- Has perfect proportions of protein and carbohydrate
- Great source of antioxidants, B-vitamins, vitamin D, calcium, etc.
- Gluten-free milk
- No saturated fat and cholesterol
- Very inexpensive
- Almond Milk
This wonderfully tasty vegan milk is made by pulverizing soaked almonds thoroughly. The sweet and nutty flavor and high nutrition make it highly popular among the lovers of dairy-free milk substitutes.
- Fulfills 30% of our daily requirements of calcium
- Contains 25% of our daily requirements of vitamin D
- Very low in calories (one servings offers only 30 calories)
- Enriched with proteins, omega-6 fatty acids, antioxidants, dietary fibers, vitamin E, iron, zinc, magnesium, etc.
- No saturated fats, cholesterol and lactose
- Gives immunity a boost
- Makes teeth and bones stronger
- Helps in healthy digestion
- Perks up the skin texture by offering anti-aging benefits
- Encourages weight loss
- Coconut Milk
It is another creamy, flavorful and nourishing alternative to regular milk, which is basically prepared by grating the ‘meaty’ flesh of ripe coconuts as well as extracting the concoction. You can get both ‘thick’ and ‘thin’ coconut milk for using as cooking ingredients and both of them are super tasty.
- High in dietary fibers, vitamin B-12, vitamin D, iron, calcium, manganese, copper, phosphorus, selenium, etc.
- Contains very less amount of sugar
- No fructose
- Helps in controlling blood sugar
- Strengthens both bones and blood vessels
- Prevents arthritis and osteoporosis
- Gives a feeling of fullness, thereby helping in weight loss
- Cashew Milk
Cashew milk has a natural vanilla flavor and it is made of a smooth, rich blend of water and cashew nuts. It is an amazingly tasty, absolutely creamy and highly satisfying milk beverage.
- Amazing source of proteins, B-vitamins, calcium, magnesium, copper, etc.
- Very low fat content
- Free of cholesterol
- Increases the production of RBCs (Red Blood Corpuscles)
- Promotes healthy metabolism
- Helps in tissue and bone formations
- Keeps cholesterol levels under control
- Enhances cardiovascular health
- Hazelnut Milk
Being derived from tasty and savory hazelnut, this milk tastes heavenly. It also has a nutty flavor, which is very much liked by people. Like all other vegan mil substitutes, it also has high nutrition value.
- High in healthy carbohydrates, vitamin B-12, vitamin D and calcium
- No saturated fats, lactose and cholesterol
- Takes care of bones and teeth
- Keeps you filled up for a long time
- Hemp Milk
It is prepared from the seeds of hemp tree and is regarded as one of the healthiest choices for dairy-free milk. It is widely known for its ‘earthy’ taste and nutty flavor.
- Contains as much as 10 essential amino acids
- Has a perfect omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3 fatty acids ratio
- Loaded with soluble fibers, proteins, vitamin B1, vitamin B5, calcium, potassium,
- Aids in muscle building
- Provides immense energy
3 Simple and Easy Homemade Vegan Milk Recipes
What if you need a good vegan milk alternative for cooking or drinking but do not wish to purchase commercial one? Just DIY! We are giving you 3 easy, simple and fast vegan milk recipes to try at home:
(1) DIY: Homemade Almond Milk Recipe
- Best-quality raw almonds – 1 cup (organic is even better)
- Sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- Distilled water – 2 to 4 cups (as per your preference)
- Take the almonds in a glass bowl and pour distilled water into it to soak them completely. Add sea salt to the water and cover the bowl with a lid. Keep it aside for nearly 12 hours.
- Rinse the swelled up almonds well under running water to get rid of all sorts of enzyme inhibitors.
- Now, put the almonds in a blender and pour rest of the distilled water into it. Blend thoroughly to mash all the nuts.
- Strain it or not, your creamy almond milk is absolutely ready!
(2) DIY: Homemade Oat Milk Recipe
- Oats – 1 cup
- Agave nectar or maple syrup – 1 to 2 tablespoons (as required for sweetness)
- Sea salt – (1/4) teaspoon
- Distilled water – 3 cups
- Rinse the oats well and drain them perfectly before placing them in a bowl.
- Add water to it and cover with a lid. Let the oats soak for 8 to 10 hours so that they get softer as well as easier to process.
- Once again, rinse the oats well and remove the oat slime completely.
- Shift them to a blender and pour distilled water into it. Blend for some time and sieve it.
- Press the semi-pulverized oats with the backside of a spoon in order to take the maximum milk out of it.
- Add agave or syrup and sea salt to the concoction and your homemade oat ilk is here!
(3) DIY: Homemade Brown Rice Milk Recipe
- Sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- Distilled water – 2 cups
- Clean and wash brown rice properly and soak it in water for a couple of hours.
- Cook it as usual.
- Now, place the cooked brown rice inside a blender jar. Also, add sea salt and distilled water to it.
- Blend until a smooth, thick milk is formed. Voila!
So, are you ready to switch to vegan milk alternatives?
Soni likes to share her knowledge with the world helping others to live a healthier life. She also loves to share her express her views and explore anything and everything that can feed her pen.