Potato, Corn, and Green Chile Soup
This flavorful soup of potatoes, cheese, and green chiles is a nondairy version of a contemporary classic from the American Southwest. It’s filling, so it can serve as a centerpiece of a meal, served with a salad or salad-y wraps. Try this with Cool Refried Bean Wraps for a nice meal. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 6 or more
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, scrubbed and diced (leave peels on if
they’re nice and clean and potatoes are organic; otherwise peel)
- 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth plus 2 cups water,
or 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup chopped fresh, ripe tomatoes (substitute canned if good, ripe
tomatoes are unavailable)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeños, or 1 to 2 mild poblano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella-style vegan cheese, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, or more, as desired.
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and green pepper and sauté until the mixture begins to turn golden.
Add the potato dice and broth or water with bouillon cubes. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Reach into the pot and mash about half the potatoes roughly, or just enough to thicken the base.
Add the tomatoes, corn, green chilies, cumin, and oregano. Add additional water as needed to give the soup a thick but not overly dense consistency. Stir together, return to a simmer, then simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes and corn are done.
Sprinkle in the grated cheese, a little at a time, stirring it until it is fairly well melted each time. Season with salt and pepper and simmer over very low heat, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes.
Serve at once, or let stand for an hour or so before serving. Heat through as needed and adjust the consistency with more water if the soup becomes too thick. Just before serving, taste to adjust seasonings and stir in the cilantro or parsley.
Per serving: 234 calories; 11g total fat; 5g protein; 6g fiber; 33g carbs; 239 mg sodium
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.