Potato, Cheese, and Green Chili Soup
This flavorful soup of potatoes, cheese, and green chilies, is a nondairy version of a contemporary classic from the American Southwest.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh, ripe tomatoes (substitute canned if good, ripe
tomatoes are unavailable)
- 1 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated jack- or mozzarella-style vegan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the potato dice in a soup pot and cover with the stock or water. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, until the potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
In the meantime, heat the oil in a small skillet. Sauté the onion over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and green pepper and sauté until the mixture begins to brown lightly.
Remove half of the potatoes from their cooking liquid with a slotted spoon and place them in a shallow bowl. Mash them well, then stir back into the soup pot, followed by the onion-bell pepper mixture. Add the tomatoes, corn, green chilies, and chili powder. Add additional water if the soup is too dense. Stir together, return to a simmer, then simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle in the grated cheese, a little at a time, stirring it until it is fairly well melted each time. Season with salt and pepper and simmer over very low heat, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes.
Serve at once, or let stand for an hour or so before serving. Heat through as needed and adjust the consistency with more water if the soup becomes too thick.
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.