Hearty Vegetable Pot Pie
Everyone loves the nostalgic classic, vegetable pot pie. Many VegKitchen readers have let us know that this mild dish of hearty veggies enclosed in pie crust is on their regular cool-weather meal rotation; it’s also a crowd-pleasing vegan option for a Thanksgiving or Christmas menu. Using prepared whole-grain pie crusts makes pot pies a snap to prepare. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. Photo credit: Sang An. This recipe makes two pies, for at least 12 servings. For a smaller crowd, to make one pie, halve the recipe.
- 8 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and finely chopped
- 3 cups diced vegetables of your choice (choose 3 or 4 from among cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, leeks, peas, corn kernels, zucchini, yellow summer squash, mushrooms, kale, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock (homemade or store bought)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional but highly recommended)
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose seasoning blend (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Two 9-inch prepared good-quality pie crusts, preferably whole grain
- 1 cup fine whole grain bread crumbs
- Paprika for topping
- Cook or microwave the potatoes in their skins until done. When cool enough to handle, peel them. Dice four of them and mash the other four coarsely. Set aside until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the vegetables of your choice, layering quicker-cooking vegetables like peas, corn, and zucchini over longer cooking ones like cauliflower, broccoli, and leeks. Add a bit of water; cover and cook until the vegetables are tender but not overdone, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the skillet, then pour in the stock. Add the optional nutritional yeast. Cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly. until the liquid thickens.
- Stir in both the diced and mashed potatoes. Heat through gently. Stir in the seasoning blend, thyme, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and pat in.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over each pie, then top with a sprinkling of paprika.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Let the pies stand at room temperature for 10 minutes or so, then cut into wedges and serve.
Per Serving (with broccoli, mushrooms, and carrots): 179 calories; 3.4g fat; 34.5g carbs; 4.8g fiber; 4.5g protein; 107mg sodium