Vegan Mock Chicken-Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 8 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt-free herb-and spice seasoning mix
- 4 to 6 ounces small pasta rings (anellini) or
short noodles such as cut spaghetti
- 4 to 6 ounces baked tofu, finely diced
store bought or homemade (see note)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
Heat the oil slowly with 2 tablespoons of water in a large soup pot. Add the celery, carrots, garlic, and onion. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the water, bouillon cubes, seasoning mix, and dried dill. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Raise the heat and bring to a rapid simmer. Add the noodles and simmer steadily for 5 to 8 minutes, or until al dente. Add the diced tofu, then season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Notes: Baked tofu, widely available in natural foods stores as well as some well-stocked supermarkets, is sold in 8-ounce cellophane packages. If you follow the homemade recipe here on VegKitchen, cut the amount of soy sauce or Bragg’s in half, as you want it to be less salty.
As the soup stands, the noodles quickly absorb the liquid. If there is leftover soup, add a cup or so of additional water before storing and adjust the seasonings. That way the soup can develop more flavor as it stands.Print This Post