Fresh Tomato, Eggplant, and Olive Pizza
A trio of delectable toppings—tomatoes, eggplant, and olives—make a simple vegan pizza special. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Makes: 6 slices
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- One 12- to 14-inch good-quality pizza crust
- 3 to 4 medium tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, optional
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella-style nondairy cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives, preferably oil-cured
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Combine the eggplant and garlic in a medium skillet with a small amount of water. Cover and steam until the eggplant is tender but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Check occasionally to make sure there is enough water to keep the bottom of the skillet moist.
Place the crust on a pan. Arrange the tomatoes on the crust, and sprinkle with the eggplant-garlic mixture. If desired, season with a little salt and a few grindings of pepper. Top with the nondairy mozzarella; sprinkle the olives on last.
Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, and cut into 4 to 6 wedges to serve.