Black Bean and Zucchini Tortilla Casserole
Chilaquiles is a classic Southwestern casserole that layers soft corn tortillas with beans and cheese. The lively flavors make for a nice change-of-pace holiday main dish, but this is also easy enough to make for weeknight meals. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 28-ounce can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 small fresh hot chile pepper, seeded and minced,
or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16- to 20-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 12 corn tortillas, torn or cut into several pieces
- 8 ounces cheddar-style nondairy cheese (Daiya is great with this!)
Preheat the oven to 400º F (205º C).
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add the green pepper and continue to sauté until it has softened and the onions are golden.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes and seasonings, black beans, and zucchini. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Layer as follows in a lightly oiled 9-by 13-inch or 2-quart round casserole: Half of the tortillas, half of the tomato-black bean mixture, and half of the cheese. Repeat. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into squares or wedges to serve.
- Here are more easy bean main dishes.
- Find lots more tortilla recipes in A Southwestern Supper.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
- Browse more of VegKitchen’s vegan casserole recipes.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
13 comments on “Black Bean and Zucchini Tortilla Casserole”
Pingback: Vegan Thanksgiving (Vegetarians Welcome!) | Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes: In a Vegetarian Kitchen
Pingback: Whole Food, Whole Faith – Exploring a Plant-based Lifestyle « samanthakrieger.com
Pingback: Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes | HealthyMamaInfo
Pingback: What Do Vegans Eat On Thanksgiving??
Pingback: A healthy black bean and vegetable corn tortilla casserole, vegan dinner recipe