The Best Vegan Nachos
Anytime of the year is a good time for nachos, especially if
you’re entertaining for football or better yet, the Super Bowl! They are quick, easy and absolutely everyone loves them. When you’re trying to be vegan or entertain vegan friends nachos may seem out of the question, but it’s not true!
Most anything can be veganized and nachos are no exception. What are nachos, anyway?
- Tortilla chips
- Refried beans
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
Most of this is vegan to begin with. To completely veganize, use:
- Vegetarian refried beans made without lard (I like Amy’s with mild green chilies)
- Non-dairy cheese
- Vegan sour cream
There are a couple of choices for vegan sour cream, so just use your favorite. If you don’t have a favorite for the non-dairy cheese, try my latest discovery, Daiya Cheese. A vegan cheese that tastes out of this world and melts too! Daiya cheese comes in cheddar, mozzarella and pepper jack. I actually prefer the mozzarella for nachos and it’s gluten and soy- free too.
To minimize fat, use baked tortilla chips.
The Best Vegan Nachos
Makes: 4 to 5 servings
- One (9 ounce) bag of baked tortilla chips
- 1/2 to 1 (8 ounce) package Daiya Cheese
- 1 (15.4 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) bag shredded lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- Guacamole (see recipe below)
- 1 (1 size only) container non-hydrogenated Tofutti sour cream
- Salsa (see recipe below)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare guacamole and salsa (see recipes below).
- Cover and set aside in the fridge.
- Lightly spray a 3 quart glass baking pan with vegetable spray and line the bottom with a layer of chips.
- Sprinkle cheese liberally and continue layering chips and cheese until pan is full.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted. This takes just a few minutes.
While the cheese is melting:
- Heat refried beans and thin them down with a little water if desired.
- Dice tomatoes.
- Remove chips from oven. Your chips should be lightly browned, covered in melted cheese.
- Liberally spread refried beans over the entire surface of the chips.
- Top beans with several handfuls of shredded lettuce, then add tomatoes, several large spoonfuls of your homemade guacamole and sour cream and top generously with salsa. Voila!
- Serve extra fixins on the side.
Variations: Black olives and jalapeño peppers are a great option to throw in the mix too.
Homemade Guacamole and Salsa from the Blender
Which is the best blender to use to make homemade guacamole and salsa? If you are unsure which features are most important to you start with my Blendtec vs. Vita-Mix Review comparing the top two rated blenders. Either one will handle these recipes without any problem, but there are some differences to consider before purchasing one.
Two easy, but delicious recipes from the Vita-Mixer Recipes for Better Living cookbook:
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 medium tomato
- Cut avocadoes in 1/2 and remove pits.
- Scoop out flesh and place in blender.
- Add the garlic salt and lemon juice.
- Turn blender on high.
- Drop onion and tomato through opening in lid.
- Use tamper to push vegetables into blades.
- Don’t over mix.
- Serve chunky.
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 ripe Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Serrano Chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Place all ingredients in the blender in the order listed.
- Turn on for 5 to 10 seconds or until ingredients are chopped to desired consistency.
- Don’t over mix.
Nachos can be prepared several different ways.
- Pile everything on top after the chips come out of the oven
- Arrange everything around the plate
- Put all the fixins in decorative bowls and let everyone make their own
I have prepared nachos all three ways. When I like to make a presentation I pile everything on top and hand out plates. Everyone digs in and is completely satisfied! It’s easier too.
Enjoy the nachos (and the game)!
April Jones is the publisher of Kitchen-Blender-Reviews.com. She is very passionate about green smoothies, healthy eating and teaching others the value of eating a balanced, nutritious diet.
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.
- For lots more Southwestern-style recipes, go to A Southwestern Supper.