Recently, someone I know told me that she’d eaten a vegan “Elvis” sandwich in a New York City eatery. Curious, I learned that Elvis Presley’s favorite sandwich was grilled peanut butter, banana, and bacon. It sounds a bit odd, but the combination is curiously good in its vegan rendition. The biggest modification is that smoky tempeh takes the place of bacon; natural, organic peanut butter and whole grain bread make it healthier. It’s a bit intense, but for active people or hungry teens, this could be a big hit. Multiply the ingredients given here for more sandwiches. It makes a great school lunch.
Makes: 1 sandwich
- Earth Balance or olive oil cooking spray
- 4 slices seasoned tempeh strips, homemade or prepared
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- natural peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, as desired) as needed
- 1/2 medium banana, thinly sliced
- Heat just enough Earth Balance or cooking oil spray in a small skillet. Cook the vegan bacon on both sides over medium heat until lightly browned and crisp.
- Meanwhile, spread the peanut butter on both slices of bread. Top one of them with banana slices, then with the cooked bacon. Cover with the other slice of bread.
- Grill the sandwich in the heated skillet on both sides over medium heat until the bread is golden brown. Serve at once.
- Here are more recipes for vegan sandwiches and wraps.