Italian Bread-and-Tomato Salad
Crisp cubes of Italian bread mingle with fresh tomatoes in this interpretation of a popular Mediterranean salad. Use only the most flavorful of summer tomatoes for best results. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 to 4 cups Italian bread, preferably whole grain,
cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pounds flavorful ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, or more to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 300 degrees.
Arrange the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until dry and lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Just before serving, combine in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients and toss together. Serve at once.
Variation: Make the salad more substantial by adding one 16-ounce can of drained and rinsed chickpeas.Print This Post