Pear and Toasted Walnut Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
This salad has ﬂavors that speak fall to me—pears, walnuts, bitter greens and cranberries. You can substitute other dried fruit if you like. Contributed by Jill Nussinow, MS, RD from The Veggie Queen™: Vegetables Get the Royal Treatment.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum (or substitute 2 teaspoons olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons walnut halves or pieces, toasted
- 2 large ripe pears, each cut into 8 to 12 slices
- 4 to 6 cups greens, including bitter ones like arugula or cress
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the water, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard and 2 tablespoons of the cranberries in a food processor. Process. Add the guar gum and process. Set aside.
Put washed and dried greens in a large bowl. Pour half the dressing over the greens and toss. Arrange pears over greens and sprinkle walnuts and cranberries over pears.
Add remaining dressing if you like. Top with freshly ground pepper. Serve right away.
Visit Jill Nussinow at The Veggie Queen.
- Here are more recipes for fruity compositions.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.