Spring Pasta Salad with Asparagus and Fresh Peas
I especially like this sprightly pasta salad made with orecchiette (“little ears”), a small, delicate pasta, but you can use any short pasta shape you’d like. Use very slender asparagus and you won’t need to scrape the stalks. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 8 ounces orecchiette, tri-color rotini, or other short pasta shape
- 8 ounces slender asparagus
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas, lightly steamed (or frozen peas if fresh are unavailable)
- 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente.
- At the last minute, plunge the asparagus and peas into the simmering water with the pasta and cook for just a minute or so.
- Drain the pasta, asparagus, and peas in a colander and rinse under cool water, then drain well again.
- Combine the pasta, asparagus, and peas with the remaining ingredients in a large serving bowl. Toss gently and thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed, or serve at once.
Per serving: Calories: 199; Total fat: 6g; Protein: 6g; Carbs: 31g; Sodium: 56mg
Here are more: